Thursday, May 7, 2009

Creative Katica


I am weeks late in posting this, but I wanted to tell you about my second English class. After the first class, one of my family members expressed interest in learning how to order food in a restaurant. I planned the class around a game of Bingo, with detailed drawings in colored pencil of vegetables, meat, salad, drink, menu, bill, dessert, etc. Backing up, I planned an activity where we would take turns playing waiter and client by posing the question "Excuse me, what would you like..." and "I would like..." This was great practice, but I was most excited about Bingo, particularly after I decided that whoever got Bingo would have to say "Excuse me, I would like..." and name all of the items where they had markers as if they were ordering in a restaurant. While I only managed to get four of the five required people to come, and I failed to secure a committment from a PCV to observe my class, I thought it was extremely successful!

I have had such a blast here rediscovering my creative side, which has been masked by other interests or preoccupations since
probably high school. I am now making birthday cards again, painting with water colors, making card games, and writing letters. I am dreaming up ideas fro my future classrooms, including shadowboxes, kaleidoscopes, mailboxes, world maps, masks, mobiles, collages, murals... I also had an idea today that involved a world map mural and a series of "Where in the world is Carmen Santiago", where we could take "trips" to different countries ever day or week and learn about key aspects of other cultures, packing suitcases for climate, cutting out pictures from magazines, and sending postcards. Where in the world is Kathryn Rouillard? Tune in next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment